April 22nd, 2010, 23:42 Posted By: JLF65
Okay, here's one of the biggest updates yet. With the combined efforts of yours truly, Conle, and madmonkey, we present v2.2 of the MD menu.
- Long file name support! File names up to 255 characters are allowed, but you really shouldn't go crazy since you can only display 36 in the menu browser list. The browser does it's best to make the names distinct if they are too long to be displayed in their entirety.
- If you boot with an SD card inserted, it starts on the SD card browser instead of the flash browser.
- Cheats enhanced - currently a total of 24 different cheat entries can be enter (manually or via a cheat file). Each cheat entry can have up to 12 linked GameGenie or PAR codes. IPS patch files (one per game) are also supported. Region unlocking cheats are enabled by default depending on the region of the game you are trying to load.
- The menu now caches the options you select for SD files, including cheat states and save ram settings.
- A new Save RAM manager was added, allowing you to save and restore specific games or the entire Save RAM. You can also set the specific game to automatically manage it's Save RAM (automatically loading the srm file before running, and saving it the next time you reboot). Save RAM files are kept in srm format for ease of exchange with emulators. The entire Save RAM space is supported, allowing twice as many banks as before.
- The menu can be run from the SD card. This means that minor updates don't have to be burned to flash. Once v2.2 MDBIOS.BIN is burned to menu flash, it will look for MDEBIOS.BIN in the "/.menu/md" directory on the SD card at boot time. If you call the file something else, or don't put it in the default location, you can still use the SD card browser to run it.
- Default directories and a default config file are created the first time you boot with an SD card. You can create those directories ahead of time if you want, but don't need to.
- Improved file recognition. Also, when you enter the Options screen, a one-time detection for games that use EEPROM for saving is done.
- Full backwards compatibility with the Neo2 Ultra Menu app. You can still use N2UM is you can't use (or don't like) madmonkey's NeoWriter app.
- Lots of minor changes to make things better.
Note: The deluxe menu is quite a bit larger than the regular menu. At least one person has a bad sector in his Neo2-SD menu flash that prevents him from using the deluxe menu burned to menu flash. For people like that, a loader was made. It's tiny (less than 12 KB) and loads MDEBIOS.BIN from the root directory of the SD card. This allows people with bad sectors in their menu flash to still enjoy the deluxe menu. Whether you run it from the menu flash, or load it into PSRAM off the SD card, the deluxe menu is the same with all features. There's no difference other than a very short load time when you boot the menu off the SD card.
For more information and downloads, click here!
There are 0 comments - Join In and Discuss Here